The microFIT program of the Ontario Government's Green Energy Act is intended to encourage homeowners and small businesses to generate electricity from their property using a variety of technologies. This energy is metered and sold to the your local electrical distribution utility at a price set by the Ontario Power Authority.
In order to qualify, the rated generation capacity of each installation must be under 10kW and must be located in Ontario. The highest rate, at $0.802 is for electricity generated from solar panels. It is also possible to sell electricity generated with other technology, as indicated in the table of prices on our entry for the FIT program.
There are many issues to consider before investing significant sums in any new venture. Our goal here is to provide answers to all of the questions that might prevent a reasonable person from proceeding. These questions can be accessed from the list below, or at any time from the Search box at the top of the screen. Wherever possible, references are given for the sources of our answers. If you do not find the answer you are looking for, please contact wikiAdmin@switchontario.ca
While there are many different individual circumstances that might prevent a person from moving ahead, it appears to us that the microFIT program for consumer or small business generators is an excellent opportunity.
- Most of our attention has gone here, because this is the part of the microFIT program which is of the greatest interest to Ontarians. Go to this page for a general introduction and a full list of FAQs
- MicroFIT FAQs (More answers to come in the weeks ahead!)
- Do microFIT projects have to be concerned about possible remediation issues?
- Web site of the Ontario Power Authority microFIT Program
- The latest results in microFIT and FIT applications received and contracts awarded
- A similar FAQ with some different questions from the Applied Sustainability Research Group of Queen's University in Kingston, led by Dr. Joshua Pearce; this was the basis for many of our FAQ entries.